Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company Records, 1835-1913

1913

Collection Overview

Title:
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company records
Dates (Inclusive):
1835-1913
Creator:
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company
Abstract:
Coal, found near Summit Hill, west of Mauch Chunk in 1791, led to the formation of the Lehigh Coal Mines Company. Josiah White leased this company around 1826, built canals to transport the coal, and renamed it The Lehigh Navigation Company. The Lehigh Canal operated from 1827 to 1933, but began the conversion to rail transportation after 1871.
Abstract:
This collection consists primarily of circulars, deeds, reports, legal opinions, payroll records, newspaper articles (1910-1913), correspondence (1835), and blueprints of locks and canals of the Lehigh Coal amp; Navigation Company (LCamp;N).
Collection Number:
1913
Size:
2.2 Cubic feet
Location:
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library catalog.
Repository:
Special Collections Library. Pennsylvania State University.
Languages:
English

Biographical or Historical Note

In the 1870s, although the demand for anthracite coal increased, rail transportation began to surpass canal navigation, leaving the LCamp;N on unstable footing. Its need to convert to rail was financed by the lease of many of its properties by the Central Railroad of New Jersey. By 1919, LCamp;N employed 11,000 miners and produced 5 million tons of coal and in 1931 the Lehigh Canal was closed to commercial navigation. The demand for coal decreased steadily after World War II and in 1960 the last deep mine in LCamp;N closed and the company dissolved in 1965.

Return to Table of Contents


Collection Overview

The Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company papers include Acts and Mortgages and an accompanying Report, Circulars to the Loan holders, deeds, a Defense by X: Review of the Question of the Outlet Lock at Blacks Eddy (1840), a Court Opinion and Correspondence Regarding the Beaver Meadow Railroad Improvement of the Second Grand Section of the Lehigh River (1835) , Lehigh Coal and Navigation records (1835-1913), payroll records from October to December 1904, and various newspaper articles (1910-1913). Other materials include a blueprint of Land West of Lehigh River, blueprints of locks and canals and a Broadside, Distances from Mauch Chunk to the Following Points.

Return to Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

Please consult Special Collections staff for possible restrictions

Copyright Notice

Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company Records (1913), Historical Collections and Labor Archives, Special Collections Library, Pennsylvania State University.

Processing Information

Processed by Special Collections staff.

Return to Table of Contents


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company

Genre(s)

  • Cartographic

Return to Table of Contents


Collection Inventory

Click associated checkboxes to select items to request. When you have finished, click the Submit Request button.

Box

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

3

2

3