Skip to content
Penn State University Libraries

Wyomissing Polytechnic Institute Collection

knitting machine
18th Century German "drum" kintting machine purchased by TMW in 1932

            

Front cover of the Yarn Carrier, v.2 n. 4 1932 showing first page of article, "The First Forty Years are the Hardest"

 

As  the "Predecessor Institute of Academic Exellence" for Penn State  Berks, the Wyomissing Polytechnic Institute was initially conceived by Henry Janssen and Ferdinand Thun in 1927 as the Educational Department of the Textile Machine Works.  The Penn State Berks Archives and Special Collections serves to preserve and  make accessible the industrial and educational history of Wyomissing Industries and its partnership in the development of the Penn State Berks Campus.  Encompassed in the collection are documents, audio files, photographs, and artifacts, as well as generous alumni donations of student textbooks, notebooks and original machine designs and blueprints. The gallery in the Boscov-Lakin Information Commons at the Thun Library accommodates the Wyomissing Polytechinic Institute Exhibit and Timeline and is open to visitors whenever the library is open.

 

Mark A. Vaught Collection

White papers: The Story of the Wyomissing Industries,

The Story of Nylon, The Life of Dr. Wallace Hume Carouthers

Berks Campus Collections