Music (Scores) Format
This is an abbreviation of the USMARC standard, showing the most common and likely values for inputting music records in Unicorn. This checklist is most useful for Creating new records in Workflows - to check codes on imported records, fuller information is available at the LC Website.
Rec_Type - Type of record (LDR/06) [OCLC: Mandatory]
- c = Printed music (default)
- d = Manuscript music
Note: There are other valid values for this element, but in order to use them, you need to change the Format on the Control tab.
Bib_Lvl - Bibliographic level (LDR/07) [OCLC: Mandatory]
- a = Monographic component part [analytic]
- b = Serial component part
- c = Collection [for archival materials]
- d = Subunit [for archival materials]
- m = Monograph (default)
- s = Serial
Note: There are also values for serial materials, but in order to use them, you need to change the Format on the Control tab. Except for special collections materials, accept the default.
Enc_Lvl - Encoding Level (LDR/17) [OCLC: Mandatory]
- [blank] = Full level (Default)
- 1 = Full level, material not examined [used by LC]
- 2 = Less-than-full level, material not examined [used by LC]
- 3 = Abbreviated level [used by LC]
- 4 = Core
- 5 = Partial (preliminary) level [use for MLP]
- 7 = Minimal level [use for MLC]
- 8 = Prepublication level [used by LC for CIP; change when updating CIP records]
- u = Unknown [used for machine conversions; do not use]
- z = Not applicable [do not use]
Desc - Descriptive cataloging form (LDR/18) [OCLC: Mandatory]
- [blank] = Non-ISBD [used for pre-AACR2 cataloging]
- a = AACR2 (default)
- i = ISBD [do not use]
- u = Unknown [do not use; use [blank] if not certain]
TypeCtrl - Type of control (LDR/08) [OCLC: Required if applicable]
- [blank] = No specified type [use for all non-archival materials] (default)
- a = Archival
Entrd - Date entered on file (008/00-05) [OCLC: System-supplied]
6 digits supplied by the system; do not change
Dat_Tp - Type of date (008/06) [OCLC: Mandatory]
Note: The following codes are given in order of precedence; use the first applicable code in the list.
- b = No dates given; B.C. date involved [do not use]
- i = Inclusive dates of collection [use only for archival materials]
- k = Range of years of bulk of collection [use only for archival materials]
- r = Reprint/reissue date and original date [use for reprints as appropriate]
- m = Multiple dates
- e = Detailed date [do not use]
- s = Single known date/probably date (default)
- p = Date of distribution/release/issue and production/recording session [do not use in this format] ?
- t = Publication date and copyright date [use when copyright date is given in 260c]
- q = Questionable date [use when 260c says "between yyyy and yyyy"]
- n = Dates unknown [use when there is no date in 260c]
Date1and Date2 (008/07-10 and 11-14) [OCLC: Mandatory]
Note: Fill in the dates as usual, based on 260c; use "u" for any uncertain digits: for example, 260 $c[199-] would be coded Date1: 199u.
Ctry - Place of publication, production, or execution (008/15-17) [OCLC: Required if applicable]
Note: The default for this element is a blank, which is not a correct value. The correct code should be input. The table is available in Cataloger's Desktop and on the LC Web site. The code for US places is a state code, followed by a "u" so the code for any place in Pennsylvania would be "pau."
Lang- Language (008/35-37) [OCLC: Mandatory]
Note: The default code is "eng" for English. Other codes are listed in the MARC Code List for Languages in Cataloger's Desktop or on the LC Web site. If a score has no sung or spoken text, use N/A. Use und for vocalises, humming, and other texts that are wordless or consist of nonsense syllables.
Mod_Rec- Modified record (008/38) [OCLC: Required if applicable]
- [blank] = Not modified (default)
Note: Other values are used when converting a printed LC card; for new cataloging accept the default.
Source - Cataloging source (008/39) [OCLC: Mandatory]
- [blank] = National bibliographic agency [LC]
- c = Cooperative cataloging program [PCC]
- d = Other (default)
Comp -- Form of Composition (008/18-19) [OCLC: Optional]
Note: Assign codes when they apply to the item as a whole (e.g., if the item is a symphony and one of the movements is in sonata form, only the code for symphonies is recorded). If more than one code is appropriate, the code mu (Multiple forms) is used, with appropriate specific codes given optionally in field 047 (Form of Composition Code).
There are several resources for finding a list of codes, including at the OCLC Home Page.
Format -- Format of Music (008/20) [OCLC: Optional]
- [blank] = Information not specified (default)
- a = Full score
- b = Full score, miniature or study size
- c = Accompaniment reduced for keyboard
- d = Voice Score
- e = Condensed score or piano conductor score
- g = Close score
- m = Multiple formats
- u = Unknown
- z = Music in other than score form
Audience - Target audience (008/22) [OCLC: Optional]
- [space] = Unknown or not specified (default)
- j = Juvenile [For Juvenile materials (age 15 or 9th grade) either use code j or the more specific codes a b, or c. An item considered juvenile material often includes the word juvenile in its subject headings.]
Note: There are more specific values for preschool, primary, etc.; accept copy but do not use on locally created records. [???]
Repr -- Form of item (008/23) [OCLC: Required if applicable]
- [blank] = None of the following (default)
- a = Microfilm
- b = Microfiche
- c = Microopaque
- d = Large print
- f = Braille
- r = Regular print reproduction
- s = Electronic [use for electronic reproductions, i.e., when field 533 is used]
Accomp -- Accompanying Matter (008/24-29) [OCLC: Optional]
- [blank] = No accompanying matter (default)
- a = Discography
- b = Bibliography
- c = Thematic index
- d = Libretto or text
- e = Biography of composer or author
- f = Biography of performer or history of ensemble
- g = Technical and/or historical information on instruments
- h = Technical information on music
- i = Historical information
- k = Ethnological information
- r = Instructional materials
- s = Music
- z = Other accompanying matter
Note: Indicates the contents of program notes and other accompanying material for sound recordings, music manuscripts, or printed music. Generally, a specific code is used only if a significant part of the accompanying material is the type of material represented by the code. Up to six codes may be recorded. Codes are recorded in alphabetical order. If fewer than six codes are assigned, the codes are left justified and unused positions contain blanks. If more than six codes are appropriate to an item, only the six most important are recorded.
Ltxt -- Literary Text for Sound Recording (008/30-31) [OCLC: System supplied]
- n[blank] = Not applicable (default)
Note: If only one LTxt code applies, use that code in the first position and leave the second position blank.