Two or more titles bound together after publication by someone other than the publisher. Refer the item to an original cataloger when uncertain whether or not it is a bound-with.
Cataloging Instructions (Assumes bound-with item has already been marked.)
- Enter records for each title or make sure they're in The CAT
- Parent Title Imported: Enter the LC call number for the parent title as it appears on call number label. Include range (e.g., TN23.U4|zno.1-12).
- Parent Title Already in CAT: If a call number does not yet exist for bound-with copy, use Call Number and Item Maintenance wizard to add a call number. Make sure it matches the call number label and include range. Add an item record with the actual barcode number.
- Child Title Imported: After "Capturing" a record in SmartPort, change the Call Sources line to LC,999,,N so that a call number is auto-generated (e.g., XX(4533625.1)). Update the Library as appropriate. Do NOT add an item record.
- Child Title Already in CAT: If a call number does not yet exist for the child title, you will be able to create one easily without an item record within the bound-withs wizard.
OPTIONAL: If a call number does not yet exist for the child title, use the Call Number and Item Maintenance wizard to add a call number. Make sure your Behavior option to "Auto-generate temporary XX call numbers" is checked for this wizard before adding the call number and that "Add item when adding a new call number" is unchecked.
- Using the Bound-withs wizard, search for each title (parent and child/children) and "Add to tree".
- Highlight the child/children title(s) that do not yet have auto-generated call numbers. If a child already does have an auto-generated call number with no item record, highlight that call number instead. Click on Retain for linking. You can highlight multiple titles/auto-generated call numbers by holding down the Ctrl key as you click.
- Highlight the call number for the parent title and click on Link.
- Optional: Prior to linking, use helper to "Add a new call number with zero items for selected title". Repeat as necessary. Highlight newly created empty XX call numbers and click on Retain for linking. Highlight call number for parent title and click on Link. [Note that you do not need to do this since linking will create an empty XX call number for a child.]
- If all goes well, a status box should appear with a message that your transaction(s) Succeeded. The bound-withs wizard should have created an empty auto-generated call number for any child that did not already have one.
- Close the Bound-withs wizard.
- If necessary, open Delete Titles, Call Numbers, or Items wizard and remove the original call/copies, if they were present, on children records (e.g., Child record already existed in CAT with auto-generated barcode).
- Statistics: Count each title as if it were a separate item.
Note: If you're working on a serial recat project, you may have to transfer a copy/copies from the serial record to mono records and do some additional cleanup.