These fine buildings in the Beaux-Arts style with their buff brick and decorated faces were the first buildings on campus financed by donors. Charles M. Schwab was President of Bethlehem Steel and responded in 1902 to the College's lack of a proper chapel by a sizeable donation to finance one. President Atherton gratefully accepted the money but decided to call it Schwab Auditorium, foreseeing that most uses of the building would be secular in nature. The Carnegie Building, the College's first library outside of Old Main was constructed in 1904. Trustee and steel magnate Andrew Carnegie was internationally known for donating library buildings to hundreds of communities and colleges. His one hundred thousand dollar bequest was made here on the condition that the legislature buy the books to fill it. After the opening of Pattee Library, Carnegie was converted to classroom and office use. The Daily Collegian now shares the building with the School of Journalism.
Nittany Lion Shrine
On April 20, 1904, the Penn State nine was visiting Princeton for a baseball game. When freshman H. D. "Joe" Mason '07 was shown two Bengal tigers as an indication of the merciless treatment they would encounter, Joe responded with an instant fabrication of the Penn State Nittany Mountain Lion, who could overcome even Princeton's tiger. The idea persisted over the years and Penn State's athletic teams adopted the symbol. Confusion with the African Lion was common until the class of 1940 commissioned Heinz Warneke to sculpt the symbol as a class gift. Warneke worked under a tent on the Indiana Limestone at the site and on October 24, 1942 the shrine was dedicated and accepted by the College. It's now the most recognized symbol of Penn State world-wide.
The College of Agriculture's location on campus was established during the Atherton period. The passage of the Hatch Act provided funds for the construction of the Ag Experiment Station building in 1889. The hill northeast of Old Main soon also became the site of a number of wooden buildings for instruction in dairy husbandry and other subjects, barns and experimental farms. In the 1902-07 period distinctive new buildings were added. The Respiration-Calorimeter Building (ca. 1900), contains America's first calorimeter apparatus, used by Ag Dean Henry P. Armsby for innovative research in animal nutrition. Patterson Building (1902) was the College's creamery and Armsby (1905-07) served as a classroom and college administration building. A later addition, Weaver Building (1914) provided space for horticulture and followed the same Renaissance style of architect Edward Hazlehurst. Later additions on the Hill included the Stock Judging Pavilion, the Ferguson, Buckhout, Tyson and Borland buildings, beef, sheep and cow barns, buildings for Agricultural Engineering, Animal Industry, and Agricultural Administration, numerous greenhouses, and the Poultry Plant.