Legislature appropriated $50,000 to complete Old Main.
First graduating class (11 men) received B.S.A. degree (Bachelor of Scientific Agriculture) in December; first to complete baccalaureate program at an American agricultural college.
School renamed Agricultural College of Pennsylvania, May 1.
Morrill Land-Grant Act signed by President Lincoln, July 2; established national system of public state universities to "promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in all the pursuits and professions of life;" emphasized agriculture and mechanic arts.
President Pugh wrote Succinct History of Agricultural Education in Europe and America with account of the Agricultural College of Pennsylvania.
Graduate program in agricultural chemistry began under President Pugh.
First master's degree (M.S.A.) awarded in January to C. Alfred Smith, '61.
Governor Curtin signed Morrill Act Acceptance Act on April 1, designating University as Pennsylvania's land-grant institution; state appointed commission to sell land-scrip, proceeds to form endowment fund from which institution receives income annually; state obligated to provide funds for maintenance; first income received, 1867; first maintenance appropriation from state, 1887.
William H. Allen became second President; resigned 1866.
Professor John Fraser appointed third President; planned mechanic arts curriculum and introduced term "practicum;" resigned 1868.
Three experimental farms purchased under Land-Grant Act in Chester, Indiana and Centre Counties; first two sold in 1887.
Thomas H. Burrowes named fourth President; died in office, 1871.
Harvest Home, forerunner of alumni reunions, begun by Burrowes as open house and farmers' implement trials; discontinued 1878.