Alumni Association organized; first president, Professor A. A. Breneman '66.
Dr. James Calder became fifth President; emphasized liberal arts studies; resigned, 1880.
Women students admitted; six enrolled first year; first preceptress, Mary E. Butterfield, appointed.
First woman graduate, Rebecca Hannah Ewing.
School renamed The Pennsylvania State College.
First part-time librarian, Professor William A. Buckhout, appointed.
Trustees increased from 13 to 23, adding the first trustees elected by alumni and engineering societies.
Period of legislative investigations began; criticism continued until President Atherton and Governor Beaver had established strong program by 1900.