"Old Main" rebuilt; opened at 75th anniversary celebration in October during Alumni Homecoming.
Mineral Industries Art Gallery collection begun; formally opened 1942.
Mont Alto forestry school acquired from state for freshman year instruction.
School of Physical Education and Athletics established; Hugo Bezdek, first dean.
Nittany Lion Inn opened.
Graduate degrees (master's and doctoral) in education authorized.
First permanent undergraduate centers opened in Pottsville and Hazleton, providing first two years of college in a community without dormitory expense; beginning of the Commonwealth Campus system.
Institute of Local Government organized, first of its kind in United States; Professor Harold F. Alderfer, first director; replaced by Institute of Public Administration, 1959, with Professor John H. Ferguson as director.
DuBois undergraduate center established.
Dramatics Division approved; Arthur C. Cloetingh, first director.
Phi Beta Kappa chapter chartered.
$5 million building program launched with first General State Authority funds; eleven buildings constructed.
Residence hall construction on self-amortizing basis begun with Frances Atherton Hall for women.
Institute of Public Safety for driver training organized by Professor Amos E. Neyhart; first in United States.
Altoona undergraduate center opened.