Milton Stover Eisenhower named eleventh President; resigned, 1956.
Ogontz and Scranton undergraduate centers opened.
School of Business Administration established.
Distinguished Alumnus Awards created by trustees. First five awards presented.
Alumni Institute of faculty lectures became annual feature of June alumni reunions.
Penn State Foundation established.
The Pennsylvania State University became official name.
Associate degree (two-year) program in engineering started.
Penn State Alumni Fund for annual giving begun. Was made part of Penn State Foundation in 1954.
Schools renamed Colleges: Agriculture, Business Administration, Chemistry and Physics, Education, Engineering, Home Economics, the Liberal Arts, Mineral Industries, and Physical Education and Athletics.
Alumni Memorial Scholarships for freshmen established.
Centennial celebrated at a birthday dinner, February 22.
Student union building opened; named Hetzel Union Building (HUB) in honor of President Hetzel.
University park postal substation opened in HUB.
Nuclear Research Reactor facility dedicated.
Ground broken for all-faith chapel named for Helen Eakin Eisenhower, late wife of Dr. Eisenhower.
U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was commencement speaker in June, at Beaver Field.
Closed-circuit instructional television begun.
Ice-skating pavilion opened; roof added in 1960.
Dr. Eric A. Walker named twelfth President; inaugurated in 1957.
Dr. Erwin W. Mueller perfected field ion microscope.
Division of Counseling established; Dr. Robert G. Bernreuter, first director.
University Press established with Louis H. Bell, first director; first book published in 1958 -- Toward Gettysburg by E. J. Nichols.
Pre-registration counseling became mandatory for freshmen; first of its kind.
General Education program initiated.
Distinguished Visiting Professor program started.
Administration reorganized into Council of Academic Deans and administrative committees on procedures, continuing education, research, and student affairs.
Penn State Medal established; awarded for outstanding contributions to higher education.
Five vice presidencies created by Board of Trustees: research (Dr. M. A. Farrell); academic affairs (Dr. L. E. Dinnis); finance (S. K. Hostetter); business administration (O. R. MacKenzie); development (C. S. Wyand).
Center for Continuing Liberal Education established.
Long-range development plan adopted by Board of Trustees.
University elected to Association of American Universities.
Electronic computer facilities installed.
Liberal Arts research scholarships established.
McKay Donkin succeeded S. K. Hostetter as vice president for finance.
Penn State Woman of the Year Award created by trustees; first recipient, Julia Gregg Brill.
Superior Teaching Award established as Sigma Tau Award; Dr. Kinsley Smith, first recipient; renamed President's Award for Superior Teaching in 1959 and Lindback Award in 1963.
New Kensington and Wyomissing undergraduate centers established.
Library's rare book collection given full-time curator, Charles W. Mann.
Undergraduate centers designated Commonwealth Campuses; separated from Extension.
"Open Class" policy approved by University Senate.
University elected charter member of University Corporation for Atmospheric Research.
Stone Valley Recreation Area established.
Tuition made uniform for all campuses of the University.