With the success of the Hammermill Paper Company, the Behrend family became prominent Erie citizens. In 1932 Ernst Behrend and his wife, Mary Brownell Behrend, purchased several farm parcels adjacent to Wintergreen Gorge in nearby Harborcreek and named the property Glenhill Farm. After hiring prominent Philadelphia architect R. Brognard Okie to remodel the Schilling farmhouse in the "colonial revival" style, the family enjoyed their retreat until the death of Mr. Behrend in 1940. Eventually, Mrs. Behrend returned to her New England roots and in 1948 she donated the farm to the Pennsylvania State University for use as an Erie campus.
The Behrend Family Collection consists of: