Skip to content
Penn State University Libraries

Youth Development


Jan F. Scholl, PhD, CFCS
Associate Professor
4-H Specialist, FCS Programs
The Pennsylvania State University
Department of Ag and Extension Education
323 Agricultural Administration Building
University Park, PA 16802
(814) 863-7444

Amy Paster
Associate Librarian
Life Sciences Library
408 Paterno
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-1811
(814) 865-3708

Making the Best Better: Centennial of 4-H Research Graduate Studies 1911-2011

Compiled by Jan F. Scholl, 4-H Curriculum Specialist, Family and Consumer Sciences, Penn State University 
Copyright 2011, All Rights Reserved

This database is designed to assist youth practitioners, graduate students and other researchers interested in 4-H graduate studies. Use of this database should be cited as:

Scholl, Jan, and Paster, Amy (2011). Making the best better: Centennial of 4-H Research Graduate Studies 1911-2011. Retrieved [Date you accessed the information] from

An author index, graphs and other bibliographies of 4-H graduate and other 4-H research studies may be found in:

Scholl, Jan. (2004). Making the best better: Sixteen hundred 4-H graduate studies. 2nd Edition.
University Park, PA: Penn State University.

To purchase this book, contact Jan Scholl ( for an order form.

Search Form

* Indicates a required entry

Search by one or more of the following:

Now How Do I Find the Information?

If you want abstracts:

  1. PHD dissertations and some thesis abstracts may be found by scanning the Dissertations Abstracts database. For more information on this, check with a reference librarian.
  2. Contact your interlibrary loan office and ask them to secure 3-5 pages of the thesis to send to you by e-mail (usually at no charge) from the institution of origin. This may take 1-2 weeks.
  3. Abstracts are available online for many of the studies created after 2003. Locate the abstract on the World Cat database. (Generally, a URL for the entire study will be available as well.)

If you want to borrow a study: contact the interlibrary loan office at your public, college or university library and ask them to borrow a copy from the institution of origin. If this institution will loan a copy, you should receive it in 1-2 weeks.

If you want to purchase a study: If the institution will not loan the study or you just want your own copy, you may be able to purchase a copy through your interlibrary loan office. Costs vary between $5.00 and $260.00 depending on the size of the copy and the policies of the library. Copies are usually not bound.

Note:  You may also want to search for studies in department libraries and contact professors who have worked with students interested in 4-H topics who may have retained copies of studies. This is especially valuable in cases where the college or university library does not retain copies of masters level studies.

Some of the studies listed in this database are no longer available or are in special collections where a visit to the library is required. Some are lost because of mishandling. If you do borrow a copy, take good care of it as it may be the only one available. Thank you!

Many, though not all, of the studies may be found through a keyword search of three major databases. If you have not conducted a keyword search before, a reference librarian will show you how.