The Mann Assembly Room is designed to serve multiple purposes: seminar room, large meeting/gathering space, and reception area. The space falls under the administrative jurisdiction of the University Libraries Dean’s Office. Priority for space use will be as follows:
- Dean’s Office events
- Special Collections Library classes/lectures
- Special Collections or University Libraries events/receptions
- Special Collections or University Libraries meetings
- University-related classes/lectures utilizing Special Collections Library resources
- Other Libraries uses not specified above, specifically those utilizing Special Collections or other University Libraries’ resources
Given the heavy use of this room by Special Collections with its own non-circulating materials, use by units outside of the Libraries is generally not appropriate. Receptions and social events should be kept to a minimum.
The maximum occupancy of Mann Assembly Room varies depending on its configuration. See Mann Assembly Room Setup Default Configurations for more information regarding capacity.
- A UCS organizer manages use of the room (For questions, contact the Dean's Administrative Office, 865-0401). While the Libraries try to accommodate as many room-use requests as possible, requests may be denied based on the above listed priorities.
- Requests for an evening or weekend event will be considered only if a University Libraries administrator, faculty member or qualified staff member can be present during hours after normal closing time (5:00 p.m.). A key is available at the Paterno Welcome Desk to access the Mann Assembly Room and must be signed out and signed back in by Welcome Desk staff.
- Requests for a meeting time must be received at least forty-eight hours before the event. All room reservations must be made by proposing the event using UCS and “inviting” Mann Assembly Room as a guest. The Assembly Room is listed as a location. The invitation should include the following information in the Comments or Agenda section:
- purpose of the activity,
- sponsoring department and how many people are expected to attend,
- indicate the University Libraries contact person responsible for arrangements, set-up and clean-up,
- room configuration setup.
- For events involving external groups or classes, co-sponsorship by a University Libraries’ department is required. The Libraries’ contact in the co-sponsoring department must be present during the event.
- Equipment needs are the responsibility of the sponsor. The projector is permanently mounted in the ceiling, as in other instructional rooms within the Libraries. The podium is equipped with a laptop computer, combination DVD/VCR player, desktop and wireless microphones, as well as a document camera. A conference phone is available for meetings. The phone number for the room is 865-8452.
- One active network port is available in the northeast corner of the room.
- Standard technical support is offered by the Libraries Information Technology Department (I-Tech) technicians during regular business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). For assistance, contact them by phone at 863-0647 or by submitting a service request ticket (https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/intranet/itrequest/itrequest.html).
- Network connectivity and equipment requirements should be discussed with I-Tech Technicians as soon as possible after scheduling the room, but not later than 48 hours prior to the scheduled event. Any special services, such as laptop software loads, require longer lead time. Please submit a helpdesk ticket service request ticket (https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/intranet/itrequest/itrequest.html).
- Set up is the responsibility of the Libraries’ sponsor, working in conjunction with the Libraries’ Facilities Office (phone 865-4633). Room configuration should be included in the comments section of the UCS proposal. It is recommended to send a separate UCS proposal for set up of the room, inviting the Mann Assembly Room as well as Facilities staff as guests to ensure proper time for set up/clean-up before and after events.
- It is the responsibility of the individual reserving the room to check and find out when the next event is scheduled so that the room may be placed into its proper set-up on time.
- The serving of food and drink is allowed only in the Mann Assembly Room. Food and drink may not be transported through the Special Collections Library. Use of the adjacent kitchen is allowed with pre-requested approval at the time of registration. The kitchen area is a multi-purpose area; please keep this in mind when using the room. Certain foods are restricted due to the nature of the adjacencies of the space. For example, foods that have strong aromas, are messy or greasy, or may drip and stain must be avoided.
- All food must be removed from the Assembly Room and the kitchen area as soon as possible after the event. After each event in which food and/or drinks are available, the garbage bags must be removed from the garbage canisters and replaced with new bags. Garbage bags removed from Mann Assembly Room should be placed in the in the E-126 foyer between Mann and the staff lounge.
- If food or drinks are served, the room should be vacuumed by the sponsoring unit prior to the next scheduled use. A vacuum cleaner is in the closet in the Assembly Room. Tables must be wiped with a damp cloth after each use.
- When the room is used for external classes/receptions, please notify the Curtin Road entrance service desk staff, so they may properly direct students/visitors to the appropriate place.
- Failure to comply with the above-referenced procedures will result in denial of future requests by the sponsoring department and/or assessment of a fee to the sponsor’s budget.
Effective Date: August 2004
Date Approved: August 27, 2004 (Dean)
Revision History (and effective dates):
- October 2015 – Revised Guideline
- June 2015 – Revised guideline
- August 27, 2004 – Revised guideline
- July 2003 – Revised guideline
- June 2000 – New guideline
Last Review Date: Under Review 2007