November 13, 2001
ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee
Report on JSC Meeting, 15-17 October 2001,
Also available as an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file
The Joint Steering Committee for the Revision of AACR, chaired by Ann Huthwaite, met in Ottawa, Canada, 15-17 October 2001. Since the official minutes of the meeting are not immediately forthcoming, this note may serve as an overview of the meeting, a summary of its highpoints, and an indicator of areas needing ALA action. The JSC secretary, Nathalie Schulz, is working on the minutes. She may have the minutes ready as early as the end of November-in record time.
The meeting was productive. Among several items of note, major revisions to Chapters 3 and 12 are on schedule for publication in the 2002 AACR. Progress on other major issues with the code was more preparatory and organizational than editorial. A portion of the meeting was devoted to strategic planning. A number of important initiatives arising out the 1997 conference on the future and principles of AACR are converging. Among these are the conceptual introductory chapter, revision of rule 0.24 to accommodate variation in formats, incorporation of FRBR terminology and concepts through the code, reorganization of the code per recommendations in the Delsey logical analysis, the function of the GMD, etc. The next meeting of the JSC will be devoted to discussion of those converging issues and next steps for significant revision of the code. It will be important for ALA to consider how it may contribute to the JSC discussions planned for May 2002. This can be considered both now and at the Mid Winter meeting of ALA.
A few specific highlights and actions follow.
Judy Kuhagen and Nathalie Schulz (LC and JSC) will document the JSC decisions and create a new clean copy of chapter 12 for distribution to the constituencies for last reviews. The clean copy is due in early November. The chapter must go to the publisher by Feb. 28. Deadline for approval by constituencies is the end of November. ALA Rep. will check new decisions in clean copy only. Responses to JSC Nov. 19 (now November 30-due to closing of LC and delay in clean copy).
Two further actions for ALA:
- 21.30J1: Use text in 4JSC/ALA/35/CCC response. This removes the revisions based on 4JSC/ALA/35 from the clean copy (except for separating out the final paragraph as 20.30J2.) ALA actions: withdraw ALA/35. We may wish to follow up with new proposals. LC will write RI.
- 25.2E1: ALA action: Withdraw ALA/39. We may wish to follow up with new proposal.
Each of the withdrawal actions can be taken up now rather than left to Mid Winter.
Mary Larsgaard will make changes to clean copy by early Nov. and send to ALA. ALA to send to JSC as soon as possible. JSC constituent responses are due by end of Nov.
Appendix of major changes [4JSC/ALA/34 et al.]
No time to review details of the latest revision and no consensus on JSC on whether the appendix as such should be added.
Actions: JSC to ALA: hold off on further work for now. Wait for responses to 4JSC/ALA/34/Rev/2. JSC will comment on /Rev/2 as a whole and will discuss it (i.e. /Rev/2 and concept of appendix) at its next meeting (May) where it will be considered in terms of related initiatives, such as a reorganization of Part 1. Issues to be considered include:
- where parts of the appendix might go: e.g. section F2 to introduction
- relation of appendix to chapters 12 and 21
- how the appendix fits with a reorganized/restructured rules with a different approach to class of materials concept.
Specific characteristic of electronic resources (Chapter 9: Areas 3, 5, 7) [4JSC/ALA/36 et al.]
No time for constituent groups to consider latest proposal. Although there was consensus on many issues (particularly elimination of area 3) but no specific recommendation from ALA on where to move area 3 information, JSC was unable to act now.
Actions: JSC members take a straw poll on alternatives in ALA proposal and then will send to constituencies and comment on it by end of Jan. 2002. At Mid Winter, ALA may want to discuss how ALA presents its proposals to JSC and the relation of task force reports to such proposals.
Rule of three [4JSC/ACOC/1 et al.]
Prototype of reorganized part 1 of AACR2 (and Multiparts)
JSC to discuss further action on reorganization of the rules at its May 2002 meeting.
The alternate organization of the rules in 4JSC/Chair/75/ALA response (section 4b) was seen as especially promising as an example of a possible alternate conceptual organization of the code (a break from the class of materials concept.)
Action ALA: Beacom to ask CC:DA to form task force to pursue using the prototype to help clear up inconsistencies in rules across chapters in part 1. This is an editorial effort. I think this should happen sooner rather than later. I recommend that we form it now rather than wait to discuss at Mid Winter.
24.1C Changes of name [4JSC/ALA/37 et al.]
Discussion led to request of JSC to ALA to withdraw the proposal. Suggestion made to ALA to think again about this proposal in larger context.
9.7B17, summary examples [4JSC/ALA/38 et al.]
Cited JSC decision at spring 2000 meeting to move all rules and examples dealing with integrating resources to Chapter 12. JSC thinks the examples are each good but see each as belonging in chapter 12 not chapter 9.
Actions: ALA withdraw proposal. Option: resubmit as examples for chapter 12. I recommend that we discuss this at Mid Winter.
Rule change proposal for 1.2B3 Edition statements [4JSC/ALA/40 et al.]
JSC sees this proposal as a piecemeal approach to a larger issue and requests that ALA withdraw the proposal. It was noted that the ALA proposal conflicted with the ISBD and that the ISBD may need revision on this point.
Actions: The suggested CC:DA task force on clean up using prototype could examine all X.2 rules on edition statements.
The next meeting will be on May 13 and 14, 2002 in New Haven, Connecticut. That meeting is being planned as a retreat style meeting in which the JSC intends to discuss the major outstanding initiatives together.
SUMMARY LIST OF ALA ACTION ITEMS
- ALA actions: withdraw ALA/35 or follow up with new proposals. LC will write RI.
- ALA action: Withdraw ALA/39 or follow up with new proposal.
- ALA Rep: Check new decisions in clean copy only. Responses to JSC by Nov. 19 (now November 30-due to closing of LC and delay in clean copy.)
- ACTION ALA: Make a proposal regarding capitalization of the word Earth when used as the name of the planet.
- ALA Action: Mary Larsgaard will request text for 3.1F2 Restore rule per JSC Sept. 2000 minutes 388.7 from Bob Ewald at LC.
- ALA Action: Mary Larsgaard to query Australian National Library per absence of leading zeros in example.
- ALA Action: Mary Larsgaard will make changes to clean copy by early Nov. and send to ALA. ALA to send to JSC as soon as possible. JSC constituent responses are due by end of Nov.
- ALA Action: JSC to ALA: hold off on further work on appendix of major changes for now. Wait for responses to 4JSC/ALA/34/Rev/2.
- ALA Action: Re: Specific characteristic of electronic resources. JSC members comment due end of Jan. 2002. At Mid Winter, ALA may want to discuss how ALA presents its proposals to JSC and the relation of task force reports to such proposals.
- ALA Action: Re: Rule of three [4JSC/ACOC/1 et al.] ALA may want to consider revision of Chapter 21. Question: do we have ideas that may provide guidance for JSC in its May meeting? If not, I recommend waiting to hear from JSC after its May meeting.
- ALA Action: Re: JSC Web site. Beacom to notify Charles Wilt about the changes in distribution technique for JSC documents.
- Action ALA: Re: reorganization of the rules per Delsey recommendations. Beacom to ask CC:DA to form task force to pursue using the alpha prototype to help clear up inconsistencies in rules across chapters in part 1. I recommend that we start up this task force now. And since this aspect of the rules may be the most critical now under review, how might ALA most effectively contribute to a new organization of the rules? If ALA wishes to influence discussion at the May JSC meeting, ALA will need to present ideas to the JSC. I recommend we discuss at Mid Winter.
- ALA Action: Re: 24.1C Changes of name. ALA to withdraw. Need not wait for Mid Winter. ALA may want to discuss this in larger terms at Mid Winter.
- ALA Action: Re: 9.7B17, summary examples [4JSC/ALA/38 et al.] ALA to withdraw proposal. We can withdraw now. And explore options such as resubmitting as examples for chapter 12 at Mid Winter.
- ALA Action: Re: Rule change proposal for 1.2B3 Edition statements [4JSC/ALA/40 et al.] ALA to withdraw. Could do that now and the CC:DA task force on clean up using prototype could examine all X.2 rules on edition statements.
AGENDA ITEMS IN SOME DETAIL
Note: This memo is keyed to the agenda of the JSC meeting [4JSC/A/14/Rev]. The numbering of the agenda follows the actual order of the meeting.
- 1. Agenda [4JSC/A/14/Rev]
- Approved with addition of a few late papers including 4JSC/ALA/36/Rev and 4JSC/Chair/73/BL response, 4JSC/Chair/68 ... /ACOC response, and another that I didnt record in my notes.
The chair welcomed two new participants to the JSC, Nathalie Schulz, the JSC Secretary, and Matthew Beacom, the ALA representative to the JSC.
- 2. Minutes of the April 2001 Meeting [4JSC/M/401-427]
- Approved with minor corrections. Many expressed thanks to Judy Kuhagen for her work taking the minutes.
- 3. Report from the chair of the Format Variation Working Group
- [4JSC/Chair/71, 72, 72/Rev, and the FVWG Interim Report, Oct. 8, 2001]
The chair of the working group, Jennifer Bowen, summarized the report orally and asked for guidance from the JSC on possible next steps for the group. Discussion followed. In short, the JSC is reassessing the groups charge relating to its work on a database that can model expression-based displays of records and to look to chapter 25 as a potential center for rule revision proposals regarding displays of records that articulate work and expression relationships. Such displays may be best organized under a title or citation style heading. Additionally, the JSC requested that the work of the group on incorporation of FRBR concepts into the code be charged as a separate activity to be led by Pat Riva (McGill University). Riva will prepare a report for the spring meeting of the JSC. The JSC will create a new charge for the group shortly. The group will prepare another interim report in time for the spring meeting of the JSC.
- 4. Strategic Planning
- In executive session the JSC undertook a strategic planning exercise facilitated by Mary Ghikas to look ahead 10 years to conceive and articulate goals and directions for AACR. Three areas of particular interest were the role of AACR in an increasingly international and multi-lingual context, in an increasingly digital and networked information context, and in an increasingly rich and plural metadata context. Although no magical incantations that would solve all controversies, convince all people, and provide infallible direction was articulated, the discussions were fruitful and should help to provide a useful basis for continued work on AACR by the JSC and the groups that are represented there.
- Old Business
- 5. Revising AACR2 to Accommodate Seriality ... [4JSC/Chair/68/ et al.]
- 18. Proposal to change rule 25.2E1 moved to this spot to discuss with chapter 12.
[4JSC/ALA/39 et al.]
- Note: Judy Kuhagen and Nathalie Schulz (LC and JSC) will document the decisions and create a new clean copy of chapter 12 for distribution to the constituencies for last reviews. The clean copy is due in early November.
The chapter must go to the publisher by Feb. 28. Deadline for approval by constituencies is the end of November.
In the notes below, I have put an asterisk before rules in which ALA might be particularly interested.
- 12.0A1 Combine 1st to 3rd paragraphs into 1; add , updating Web sites to end of parenthetical statement at end of 1st sentence; end current 2nd paragraphs only sentence at multipart items.; i.e. drop the cartographic exception.
- *12.0B1 Per ACOC response to the LC proposal to move the electronic serial exception in 12.7B4.2b here, the e-serial exception in 12.7B4.2b has been removed. Also 21.2C1a now has only the first sentence of the paragraph in the clean copy. The integrating resource exception for those e-serials on which an earlier title is not formally presented after a major change in the title proper has been removed.
- 12.0B1a Per CCC, or part. added to last sentence. Per LC, use First and/or last for numbering and dates.
- 12.0B1b Per CCC, or part. added to last sentence. Per LC, use First and/or last for numbering and dates.
- *12.0B2a Footnote: oriental not replaced. No alternate text proposed.
ACTION ALA: Ask CC:AAM to propose alternate text.
- 12.0F In other cases changed to For other inaccuracies per JSC minutes.
- *12.0B8a-b in general kept. Conforms to ISSN and ISBD(CR).
- *12.0B8a-b "in general" kept. Conforms to ISSN and ISBD(CR).
- 12.3A2 Per CCC, new 4th sentence using CCC wording.
- 12.3B1 Other title information cut from the Magic touch example.
- *12.3C1 No change made to examples showing chronological designations with use of a forward slash [virgule] between years instead of the hyphen actually used on the item. ALA questioned this as potentially confusing, others did not agree.
- *12.3C4 PP1 example deleted; LC wording used for 2nd paragraph.
- 12.3F1 Title deleted from example, sentence added for having only last issue, and example added, per CCC.
- 12.3G1 Ed. changes per CCC OKd.
- 12.4D2 Per CCC, in heading and 1st sentence added distributor.
- *12.4F2a No to ALA suggestion to add comma after publisher in 2nd and 3rd examples. CONSER practice is contrary to rules.
- 12.4G3 Per LC, a future task will be to rework style of the considered necessary wording.
- 12.5B2 Add ceased or to make 1st sentence begin For a ceased or completed
, per LC.
- 12.5C2a Change deleted to omittedp per LC.
- 12.5C2b ditto.
- 12.5D1 Restore (e.g., 2.5D for printed serials) at end of rule, per LC.
- 12.6B1 No to CCC suggestion to restore plural form to word numbering in 2nd sentence. Accepted LCs suggestion to begin 2nd sentence with For serials.
- *12.7B1 No to ALA suggestion that one always make a note on the frequency of the serial or frequency of updates to an integrating resource. Contrary to ISBD(CR) synchronization (LC, CCC). Yes to CCC 1st example only. No to explaining Rev. ed. example.
- *12.7B2 Yes to LC suggestion to use commas not semi colons in 2nd and 3rd examples. Noted that this issue needed to be looked at for whole rules not just 12.7B2.
- 12.7B4 Yes to LC suggestion that the phrase give a general note be changed to make. This is acted on in several other parts of 12.7B.
- *12.7B42b Last paragraph If an electronic serial
deleted per decision at 12.0B1a. No to ALA suggestion to drop question mark in 2nd example.
- 12.7B52b Add new final sentence to paragraph: If the changes have been numerous, a general statement may be made.
- 12.7B8a Restore references to chapter 21, per CCC.
- 12.7B8e Per LC change explanation in 2nd paragraph to (Resource is in Russian).
- 12.7B9.1 Use LC suggested wording so sentence ends if it is different from the source of the title proper.
- 12.7B9.2a Add the sentence on making a general statement if changes have been numerous.
- 12.7B9.2b Delete on edition information and use plural form of iteration. Add sentence on general statement if
- *12.7B23 LC suggestion OKd; CCC wording accepted.
- *12.7B23b No to ALA suggestion to use No. not no. in example. Tricky bit of English here, but lower case is correct.
- *1.0F1 No to ALA suggestion that phrase of a serial or an integrating resource become of a continuing resource. LC rep noted that these terms are not synonymous: some integrating resources are not continuing resources.
- *1.1B1 Editorial, but it isnt every day you get to capitalize the Beauty in Sleeping Beauty. And the lamda was restored, too. A fairy tale moment at the JSC meeting!
- *1.4F8 ALA noted that omission of date is in conflict with ISBD(CR), but on this one the other groups thought AACR shouldor at least may as wellconflict with ISBD(CR), so no change here. Regarding ALA concern for need to clarify integrating resource here, JSC decided no additional wording was needed here; approach to clarity is through using CCC text for the definition of integrating resource:
An instance of an integrating resource. See glossary entry below.
- 2.5C2 2nd example deleted. LC notes it is an integrating resource and is covered in chapter 12.
- *9 general ALA attempt to put examples that referenced integrating resources in chapter 9 noted.
- 9.7B7 Reworded per CCC to be consistent with 12.7B9.1. Now reads Give the source of the edition statement if it is different from the source of the title proper.
- *21.2C1a 2nd sentence deleted.
- *21.2C1a Last sentence changed to In general, give the earlier title in a note.
- 21.30D1 Change 2nd sentence to be consistent with 12.1F3 & 12.7B7.1 OKd.
- *21.30J1 Use text in 4JSC/ALA/35/CCC response. This removes the revisions based on 4JSC/ALA/35 from the clean copy (except for separating out the final paragraph as 20.30J2.)
ALA actions: withdraw ALA/35 or follow up with new proposals. LC will write RI.
- *25.2E1 ALA action: Withdraw ALA/39 or follow up with new proposal.
- *21.30L1 Restore to existing text of rules.
- *21.30L2 Delete: all other groups see rule as unnecessary.
*Iteration CCC revised definition accepted: An instance of an integrating resource.
ACTION: ALA Rep Check new decisions in clean copy only. Responses to JSC by Nov. 19 (now November 30due to closing of LC and delay in clean copy.)
- 6. Rule revision proposals for cartographic materials (chapter 3, etc.)
[4JSC/ALA/31 et al.]
- First part of discussion used 4JSC/ALA/31/ALA follow-up/5.
- Section 1, 1. Use of lower case x for the multiplication sign is allowed. No change in chapter 3 is required.
- Section 1, 2. The word Earth when used as the name of the planet is capitalized per Chicago manual of style. LC suggests that ALA make a separate proposal (including the CCC response on this point) delineating the needed corrections.
ACTION ALA: Make such a proposal if desired.
- Section 2, 1. Explanation requested regarding the difference in practice between chapter 3 and others in the title for x.4G. (i.e. chapter 3 uses printing, others use manufacture. Decision was to leave as is for current package. CCC to follow up with a separate proposal.
- Section 2. 2. (re: 3.6A1) ALA withdraws suggestion for change (i.e., the subseries not a subseries.
- Section 2, 3. (re: 3.5.B4) 2nd paragraph to be cut from the rules. Per CCC suggestion add explanatory note to example 1 globe.
- Section 3 changes in examples:
- 3.5C3 Add ALA example and CCC example and LCs 2 examples in this order: 1. photocopy, 2. blue line, 3. printout, 4. 68 maps.
- 3.5D1 Follow wording in CCC response to the ALA proposal to express dimensions for early and mss. cartographic items to the nearest 1/10 centimeter and not to nearest millimeter. Also, delete final example (10 map sections
- 3.7B5 ALA withdraws its additional example and wording for the 1st example.
- 3.7B18 ALA agrees with LCs correction of scale in example (i.e. stay with current rule text 1:600,000.) Add a new example (the 6th.)
Discussion next dealt with 4JSC/ALA/31/ALA follow up/4 (the clean copy of the chapter.)
- Contents File characteristics in 3.3.E to be changed to current text.
Label in contents for 3.4G to be changed to match text in rule.
Indentations in 3.5 to be corrected.
- 3.0B3 Area name to be updated per LC observation to Mathematical and other material specific details.
- 3.0D Area name in 2nd sentence to be corrected per LC observation.
- 3.0J1 Use of Scales differ rather than Scales vary OK. Editorial changes made: closing up spaces. The Survey in examples changed to Ordnance Survey.
- 3.1F2 Restore rule per JSC Sept. 2000 minutes 388.7.
ALA Action: Mary Larsgaard will request text from Bob Ewald at LC.
- 3.2B1 Superscript e corrected.
- 3.3 Contents: 3.3E File Characteristics corrected.
- 3.3A3 Correct File characteristics. 2nd example changed per April 2001 JSC meeting (minute 406.6).
ALA Action: Mary Larsgaard to query Australian National Library per absence of leading zeros in example.
- 3.3B1 Use Chief source of information. Use Scale not given instead of Scale indeterminable.
- 3.3B4-6 CCC wording to be used.
- 3.3D1 ALA agrees with CCC and LC on wording of 7th paragraph. Use Polygons have non-intersecting boundaries.
- 3.3E1 File characteristics corrected.
- 3.3F1 CCC revisions to be followed.
- 3.4G CCC may make proposal later on title of area (i.e. manufacture versus printing.)
- 3.5B4 2nd paragraph eliminated; explanation added to example; 1st sentence edited to cut
and the part is physically separate from the rest of the item.
- 3.5C Single example cut.
- 3.5C3 Add 3 new examples per discussion above of ALA follow up/5.
- 3.5C4 1st example moved to last in 3.5C5. CCC suggested expanding the rule beyond atlases. LC and ALA disagreed. CCC may bring up separate proposal on this.
- 3.5C5 Examples changed: 1 ms. map : col.; 1 map : hand col. Added; 1st example from 3.5C4 moved to 3.5C5 as last example.
- 3.5C6 2nd example: use ink on Mylar.
- 3.5D1 Adding both sides to example in paragraph 7 OKd.
- 3.5D3 Change in label and SMD OKd, from relief model to model.
- 3.6A1 Re: discussion of follow up 5: retain current text of rule.
- 3.7B5 Re: discussion of follow up 5: 1st example reads: Added title in Spanish.
- 3.7B8 New penultimate paragraph; wording by CCC. Typo in coordinates corrected (no hyphen).
- 3.7B18 See notes on Follow up/5 above.
- 3.8C1 Change serial item to resource.
- Glossary In reference under Chart, map should not be in italics. Initial capital for Earth per discussion of item in Follow up/5 above.
Timeframe for 4JSC/ALA/31/Follow-up/4 revision:
Action ALA: Mary Larsgaard will make changes to clean copy by early Nov. and send to ALA. ALA to send to JSC as soon as possible. JSC constituent responses are due by end of Nov.
- 7. Publisher statement repeating data from title, etc., area (1.1D4)
- Base document for discussion was ALA response/LC response. Per items 1, 2, and 3 in the LC response, all parties are agreed.
- Item 1 Changes in examples per LA follow up OKd.
- Item 2:
3.0J1 The Survey becomes Ordnance Survey.
12.4D1 Example from CCC accepted.
1.4D5-9 Renumbered 1.4D4-1.4D8 since existing 1.4.D4 is deleted.
- Item 3 A.18E1 ALA text accepted: only reference to A.7A1 deleted in final sentence.
- Item 4 2.4D1 Expand WHO in example.
- Item 6 21.4B1 Bracket the imprint in the Rembrandt example.
- Item 7 22.21A footnote 1: Footnote is now number 17; citation updated to most recent edition (1996) of Names of Persons.
- 8. Appendix of major changes [4JSC/ALA/34 et al.]
- 4JSC/ALA/34/Rev/2 not fully commented on. It arrived too late for consideration by constituencies. Discussion was centered on the earlier responses. Overall, there is a lack of consensus. BL, CCC, and LA do not support the concept. ACOC supports the concept but thinks appendix would be hard to use. All think the basic guidelines sections might be best positioned in the rules as part of the introductory/conceptual chapter. Considered possibility of breaking rest of appendix into two parts to aid clarity of presentation. BL thinks the instructions are suitable for a cataloging agency manual and not the rules as they restrict too greatly the role of judgment. JSC to discuss the appendix as part of is strategic discussion of the code in its next meeting.
Actions: JSC to ALA: hold off on further work for now. Wait for responses to 4JSC/ALA/34/Rev/2. JSC will comment on /Rev/2 as a whole and will discuss it (i.e. /Rev/2 and concept of appendix) at its next meeting. Some points to be considered include: where parts of the appendix might go: e.g. section F2 to introduction; relation of appendix to chapters 12 and 21; how the appendix fits with a reorganized/restructured rules with a different approach to class of materials concept.
- 9. Specific characteristic of electronic resources (Chapter 9: Areas 3, 5, 7) [4JSC/ALA/36 et al.]
- 4JSC/ALA/36/Rev too late for full consideration as could not be sent to other constituencies for discussion. Yet presence of 36/Rev derailed discussion of /36. And options within 36/Rev caused confusion as to what ALA was now proposing. JSC members will conduct a straw poll on the alternatives in recommendations 2 and 4; if there is consensus, they will then respond to the proposals. Note: ALA was asked to submit specific rule revision proposals without options with brief justifications and not large task force reports. Full task force reports would be desirable as appendices to the proposals and justifications.
Actions: JSC members will send to constituencies and comment on it by end of Jan. 2002. ALA may want to discuss how ALA presents its proposals to JSC and the relation of task force reports to such proposals.
- 10. Rule of three [4JSC/ACOC/1 et al.]
- JSC thinks a complete revision of chapter 21 is needed. JSC needs to decide on a direction for chapter 21 and charge a group to do the work. Of course a constituent body or other interested parties could act on revisions to chapter 21.
Action: Chair will draft notice for JSC Web site regarding planning an overhaul of chapter 21.
- 11. Multiparts in AACR2 [4JSC/LC/51 et al.]
- Moved to item 15.
- 12. General Material Designations (GMDs) [4JSC/Chair/73]
- Discussion deferred to executive session.
- 13. Principles of AACR2
- Discussion deferred to executive session.
- 14. JSC Web site
- Thanks to John Attig for his work as JSC Web master.
Discussed transition of duties from Attig to JSC secretary, role of public Web site for communication to those interested in AACR, and role of internal Web site for document distribution within JSC.
Public site: Discussed need for putting documents into context so those looking at them will have some idea of the place these documents have in the rule making process. Need for security discussed. No links to the internal site for JSC document distribution. Content for the site discussed outcomes, discussion papers, reports of JSC groups, etc.
Internal site: Make internal site the main method for document distribution for JSC. No more paper mailings!
Action: Ann to revise procedures document for JSC to reflect new distribution process. Beacom to notify Charles Wilt regarding changes in distribution technique.
- New Business
- 15. Prototype of reorganized part 1 of AACR2 (and 11. Multiparts)
- Gross summary: The prototype was found to be helpful in reconsidering how the rules in part 1 are organized conceptually, but the prototype was recognized as a mechanical rearrangement and not a conceptual reorganization. The prototype is seen to have value as a tool to clean up inconsistencies or redundancies in the rules and the prototype has led to suggestions of alternate organizations. The alternate organization of the rules in 4JSC/Chair/75/ALA response (section 4b) was seen as especially promising as an example of a possible alternate conceptual organization of the code (a break from the class of materials concept.)
Action ALA: Beacom to ask CC:DA to form task force to pursue using the prototype to help clear up inconsistencies in rules across chapters in part 1. This is an editorial effort. Should include generalizing rules that should be generalized and not generalizing rules that need to differ from chapter to chapter.
JSC to discuss further action on reorganization of the rules at its May 2002 meeting. NOTE: This aspect of the rules may be the most critical now under review. Question: how can ALA most effectively contribute to a new organization of the rules?
- 11. Multiparts
- All but BL agree on first part for basis of description; BL uses predominant. That means they make a preliminary record based on the earliest part they have and then revise the record to account for dominance once the multipart is complete. Their practice and interests may be moving BL closer to the rest of us.
Action: LC will draft specific rule proposals regarding LC/51 recommendation 1 on seriality of multiparts and basing the description on the earliest part. No action on LC/51 recommendation 2 or 3.
- 16. 24.1C Changes of name [4JSC/ALA/37 et al.]
- Discussion led to request of JSC to ALA to withdraw the proposal. Suggestion made to ALA to think again about this proposal in larger context. This proposal struck some JSC members as case law or instructions for a manual, e.g. LCRI, NACO. The JSC is divided on this issue. Generally, JSC agrees with ALA that the revisions in a, b, and c of the ALA proposal are valuable (but accounted for adequately and appropriately in LC rule interpretations) and disagrees with ALA on the value of those in proposed in d, e, f, and g.
- 17. 9.7B17, summary examples [4JSC/ALA/38 et al.]
- JSC thinks the examples are each good but see each as belonging in chapter 12 not chapter 9. JSC decision at spring 2000 meeting cited.
Actions: ALA withdraw proposal. Our options beyond withdrawal include resubmitting as examples for chapter 12, submitting non-integrating examples for chapter 9, or both. JSC members indicated support for the first option and did not discuss the other options.
- 18. see item 5 (seriality)
- 19. Rule change proposal for 1.2B3 Edition statements [4JSC/ALA/40 et al.]
- JSC sees this proposal as a piecemeal approach to a larger issue and requests that ALA withdraw the proposal. It was noted that the ALA proposal conflicted with the ISBD and that the ISBD may need revision on this point.
Actions: CC:DA task force on clean up using prototype could examine all.2 rules on edition statements. LC may include CCC wording in new LCRI on 1.2B3.
- 20. Dates or names to heads of government (24.20C1) [4JSC/CCC/5]
- All to respond, but LC led discussion on this toward idea that the proposal should be rewritten as broadly as possible. Currently, the CCC proposal speaks only to Commonwealth countries. LC felt this could be usefully applied to other heads of government that are not heads of state such as mayors.
- 21. Role of JSC secretary
- Discussed tasks for JSC secretary, term of office, etc.
- Executive Session
- 24. Report on the Committee of Principals meeting, Ottawa 21-22 May 2001
- 25. New formats for AACR
- Discussed new print format and interest in online format for AACR. The new print format is an annual updating format that uses page insertions for updates and does not require cutting and pasting. The pages will have 5 punched holes to accommodate different markets and their paper sizes. Revisions need to be listed in consistent place to guide users in updating their copies. Some discussion of the issues relating to production costs and pricing for the new updating format, and some discussion of the connection between a continuing cycle of significant annual revision and the updating format.
Also discussed ideas relating to possible introduction of an online format for AACR. Initial discussion centered on potential tension between functionality of online format and integrity of the text. Also discussed the role of JSC and the role of the publishers regarding production of an online format. JSC will focus on issues of text integrity and functionality.
- 28. Promotion and Marketing of AACR
- Discussion centered on distinction between two aspects of this topic. One regards sales of the publication, another promotion of the value of AACR as a highly developed content standard that could have broad applicability to the work in non-library metadata efforts.
Action: Mary Ghikas to discuss with ALA publishing.
- 26. Index to AACR
- Index needs to be completely updated for AACR 2002 publication.
Action: JSC Chair to reiterate need in letter to publisher.
- 29. Concise AACR
- Discussed the relation between the text of AACR and Concise and the role of the JSC in both publications. Comparison of current texts shows significant differences between texts. Changes to AACR (3, 12, etc.) will drive changes to Concise.
Action: Chair to write letter (after publication of AACR 2002?) to publisher regarding revisions of the Concise AACR in light of changes to chapter 3, 12, etc.
- 27. Coordination between AACR, ISBDs, and other international cataloging standards
- Discussed current understanding of coordination between AACR and ISBD, etc. Noted the unusual convergence of work on seriality: AACR chapter 12, ISSN, and ISBD (CR). JSC has made a proposal on mechanics of cooperation between AACR processes and ISBD processes. ISBD community has not responded to that proposal. Goal is to find appropriate and effective mechanisms for cooperation between those working on the standards.
Action: JSC Chair will send the JSC proposal as FYI to the Committee of Principals (CoP). JSC public Web site includes JSC program of work; this document provides best guide to JSC ongoing work and plans. Mary Ghikas will send JSC a CoP report on internationalization of AACR.
- End of Executive Session
- 30. Program of Work
- The program of work is in a draft form now and may be ready for distribution and posting on JSC public Web site quite soon so I wont give details on that here.
- 31. Next Meeting
- The next meeting will be on May 13 and 14, 2002 in New Haven, Connecticut. That meeting is being planned as a retreat style meeting in which the JSC intends to discuss the major outstanding initiatives together. Those initiatives include the introductory chapter, revision of rule 0.24 to accommodate variation in formats, incorporation of FRBR terminology and concepts through the code, reorganization of the code per recommendations in the Delsey logical analysis, the function of the GMD. JSC will also follow up as needed on the appendix of major changes, the rule of three, etc. JSC will consider these and other initiatives as an interrelated whole and map out the next steps in moving them forward. The strategic planning effort will also be continued at the May meeting of the JSC.
Submitted by Matthew Beacom
ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee